Monday, December 12, 2005

about that Tookie thing...

So Arnold, or Govenor, or God or whomever it is you are playing these days...I know, as you mentioned, this is the hard part of your job (although it seems relatively simple to me) and I know that you are getting all kinds of advice on this subject from all kinds of people. Being that I'm no Snoop and all, I'll refrain from adding my two cents...But I thought I might share some advice from some pretty wise people:

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
Mahatma Gandhi

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
Mahatma Gandhi, (attributed)

"We cannot change the past, but we can change our attitude toward it. Uproot guilt and plant forgiveness. Tear out arrogance and seed humility. Exchange love for hate --- thereby, making the present comfortable and the future promising."
Maya Angelou

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"If we really want to love we must learn how to forgive."
Mother Teresa

Oh yeah, and

You may say Im a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

4 Comments:

Blogger me said...

Interesting post, SquareGirl! I enjoyed the quotes you posted... I, currently, am torn on my feelings regarding capital punishment, and, like you, am no Snoop Dogg so I, too, will refrain from opining on the subject. I did want to say, though, that your comments regarding Arnold playing "God" surprised me... You realize, don't you, that it was a judge/jury who were responsible for determining the fate of Mr. Williams after his conviction - not our Governor? What he did yesterday was uphold their decision.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Thank you for your comment onlinemom. Perhaps my reference was misdirected, but what I really want to say, that perhaps, during this time, we should be reflecting on whether or not it is EVER okay to kill a human being...even for retribution. I understand that the govenor was simply upholding the decision, but upholding a decision like this seems, to me at least, a little like playing "God".

8:11 PM  
Blogger QueenBitch said...

I love your list of quotes...inspiring. I have a hard time understanding capital punishment, as well, and not only for the questionable morality of the act.

When it comes right down to it, the death penalty is giving someone the easy way out. Personally, if someone I loved were murdered, I would much prefer the guilty party to rot in solitary. Number one, I wouldn't feel as if I were part of stooping to the same level as the criminal, and number two I think the punishment would be much more severe.

Also, I'm a big believer in redemption. I know that not all criminals will try to come clean, but I do believe in at least giving them the opportunity.

Great blog, by the way.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Queenbitch, Amen. and thanks...I've enjoyed your blog as well...

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home