Thursday, March 16, 2006

Unplugging...well mostly

My mind has been quite noisy as of late. Now I know I could blame it on the crap on the radio or all of the tangents my DSL takes me on, but I am a fully grown woman, completely capable of reaching out to push the “power off” button on may car stereo and step away from the highly distractable DSL for a couple of hours and walk over to a yoga class (always a good way for me to quiet my mind), I do after all have at least three yoga studio’s within walking distance of my apartment (Four if I am ambitious in my walking, but One is literally ACROSS THE STREET). So I have taken the first step. My car radio is off. I walked to my the library (my pre-dsl favorite haunting grounds), checked out several books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (already read, but I am a re-reader of favorites), Joseph Campbell and a book by William Carlos Williams, who I know so little about yet have always enjoyed his poetry. I also took the fifty or so yard trek to the yoga studio to obtain an updated schedule. I haven’t actually read the books yet, nor attended a yoga class, but already my mind feels quieter just thinking about doing those things. Unlike my plants, I am sure that my laptop, telephone, television or radio will not wilt and become lackluster, due to lack of attention and love.

5 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

I've been thinking (thinking) about yoga too---the hard part is getting myself into a class on someone else's schedule. We shall see!

"No ideas but in things."

9:14 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

No yoga for me but C likes to get into the "upward facing dog" (or something like that) position and tap his foot on the ground at the same time. It is one stim I would *love* to see disappear and never return again...mostly because sometimes he actually does it on people. Sigh. His therapists call it the "Pelvic Thrust". I blogged about it one time. I even tried the position to see what all the fuss was about but it was extremely uncomfortable and just added to my bewilderment over why C would do such a thing multiple times a day. Some things we may never know...

12:29 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

The "100 years of solitude" guy? I tried to read that book and it almost killed me. What am I missing?
Yoga and reading are the two things that work for me as well!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

"I haven’t actually read the books yet, nor attended a yoga class, but already my mind feels quieter just thinking about doing those things."

Ah yes, the Zen method of simplification. I use the same approach to getting in shape. I am certain that the act of paying helath-club dues will make the pounds fall off.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Kristina, yes other people schedules can be hard to fit in to our own. I was able to do it before, so I am sure I can get myself to do it yet again.

Wendy, one of my little friends always does down dog all the time, which is, according to yoga teachers a very healing position. When I actually get to class (I am determined to do so), I will ask an instructor what the benefits of upward facing dog is.

Monika, both are wonderful solutions to a very busy mind. 100 Years of Solitude is one of my favorites, but I admit it is reaaaly hard to begin it...it took me over four years during which I read the first three pages like 25 times.

Wade, I am quite certain I just burned off a bunch of calories and pounds by laughing very hard at your comment.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home