Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Taking time to smell the steam

About eleven years ago I was working as a school shadow for one of my little friends Oliver. Oliver loooved to take his time for everything, which was quite charming actually, except when the bell rang and I knew Oliver would take his lovely sweet time to get to the classroom and be late once again (of course he never minded, but it caused me a little stress). Needless to say, the school was next to some sort of plant (I either never knew or I forgot) and one morning as I was trying to get him into his classroom within a reasonable amount of tardiness, he stopped and stared at the steam from the plant for a few seconds and asked:

“What’s that?”

“I think it’s steam…we gotta go Oliver, we’re a little late.”

Oliver seemed to not hear me, but absolutely charmed me when he said “Oh loook! It’s making sky!”

7 Comments:

Blogger Octobermom said...

Ooooh!! So sweet!!! And how are you supposed to rush him after that?!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

What a lovely way our kids have of seeing things.

And of course I'm partial to any story with an Oliver in it :-)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

I love this. Steam making sky. It's poetic and it's accurate!

Wow.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I like hearing kids' takes on things. They see things in a totally different way than we do.
How cute & refreshing.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

It's hard to rush anyone after that...much like rushing someone with little hands!

Christine, yes Oliver is one of my favorite names...those Oliver's are charmers!

Estee, yes poetry is everywhere...our friends are always reminding us of this.

JD, yes kids keep us gronded!

8:31 PM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

That is so precious. I can just picture how he saw the steam as making a sky. What a lovely moment.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

MG, It was lovely!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home