Monday, May 15, 2006

Square Girl's Weekend Movie Trailer Reviews #2

For Square Girl's previous movie trailer reviews, go here.

Over the Hedge

Over The Hedge was a delightful little trailer about a ragtag bunch of squirrels and hedgehogs and porcupines and a turtle who were attempting to get, you guessed it…Over the Hedge. Their ultimate destination? A refrigerator stocked with food. The critters were cute and charming and amusing, but being that this was the trailer and NOT the actual movie, it is left up to the imagination whether or not the critters actually make it over the hedge, but I suspect they do. Definitely a recommended trailer.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest


Again we have Johnny Depp as the ambiguously sexually oriented, ambiguously inebriated Jack Sparrow, in addition to the lovely Kiera Knightly dressed as a male to fool those savvy pirates (although how anyone could EVER mistake Kiera Knightly for a male is beyond me) and a bunch of what seemed to be dead and haunted pirates with tentacles where their beards should be. In fact this trailer contained a lot of various sized tentacles, which was only semi-alarming for someone overcoming her fear of snakes (I’ve nearly done it). It was a fun little trailer and capped off by a fun little repartee between Kiera and Johnny in Kiera says (WARNING SPOILER ALERT) “There’s going to be a time when you have the chance to do the right thing”, to which Johnny/Jack responds, “I love those moments…I like to wave at them as they pass me by.” Oh, that Jack Sparrow!

Click

This is an Adam Sandler trailer, so in other words, the trailer is pretty good and the movie will most likely be really silly or just plain bad. Needless to say, I laughed occasionally in this trailer about a married father who discovered a remote that could stop, reverse and forward time. I have to admit, it reminded me a little, well a lot actually, of Bruce Almighty with Jim Carrey and I’m sure that no one would have ever imagined that Adam would have used his remote to beat up a boss, get the neighborhood bully hit by a baseball and “recall” the song playing during his first kiss with his wife who hugs him and thinks that he is saying I love you to her, when he is actually saying it to the remote. So if you find those things remotely (haha) funny, I apologize for ruining every joke in the trailer, but of course, there is always the movie.

9 Comments:

Blogger Neo said...

Square - Hmmm, I haven't been to the movies in forever. I have a zillion dvd's and vcr tapes, but paying 5 bucks for a soda seem kind of crazy eh?

Peace,

- Neo

9:18 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

I can´t wait for Pirates of the Caribbean. I think Jonny Depp is an amazing actor, not naturally something I would drag home, but still, I always appreciated his acting skills. And he was so goofy and lovable in the first one that I just have to go and see it.

The Adam Sandler one is probably one you can rent on DVD on Friday evening. Since cinema has become so expensive, I always judge a movie by scenary or by content. Some movies you just have to see in cinema: Titanic, LOTR, Star Wars...but it is fine to see Capote, Shrek and The Godfather home. Under a balnket in your favourite spot woth teh light dimmed and nobody chewing pop-corn!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Someone needed to review the trailers. I'm very excited to see the trailer for X-men! Oh boy!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

She lives! Glad to see you're back in the blogging world. Don't stay away so long next time. :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

NYTimes review of Over the Hedge implied that it was rampart consumer culture indoctrination at its animated best!

Still, I think Charlie might like to see a bit of it. Or maybe Jack Sparrow.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

Sometimes I think there ought to be a theatre that shows nothing but trailers.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Condolences on the Clippers. Did you want to tell us about it?

1:05 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I went to Over the Hedge with the kids last weekend. Cute show. Better than Ice Age 2.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Well, I ended up seeing the actual MOVIE Over the Hedge and it was cute...no Shrek 2, but it was pretty fun.

The trailers for Over the Hedge though? Not that great.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home