Sunday, February 12, 2006

Square Girl’s Weekend Movie Trailer Reviews

Today, I went to the movies and saw three new trailers* which I will review here…(Sure, I know no one asked or cares, but I simply love providing public annoyance, I mean service, so here they are)

1. A Clear Day: This movie trailer* was based on a true story about an Englishman who after retiring feels pretty uninspired and useless, so he decides to begin training to swim the English Channel yet doesn’t tell his wife who realizes that he has a secret and starts to think he must be having an affair…It has one of the hobbits from LOTR in it (you know, the one who isn’t on Lost), who says he can drive a boat, but really can’t and it’s all pretty funny. I enjoyed this trailer and would recommend this trailer* as one to see.

2. Failure to Launch: This trailer* features Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McConoughy…pretty people, but yawn…I barely remember anything about this trailer…I don’t recommend it.

3. Take the Lead: This was the final trailer* I saw today and I’m not even sure if I got the name correct. It is another movie “inspired” by a true story, “inspired” by movie’s about inspirational teachers in inner city schools, like Jaime Escalante (Lean on Me, I think), and that movie with Michelle Pfieffer. This time, the inspirational teacher who inspires troubled and difficult inner city kids is played by Antonio Banderas, and he doesn’t teach English or Calculus or anything like that, but, now get this…he teaches Ballroom Dancing. I am not kidding. This is a trailer about a ballroom dancing teacher who learns from and teaches troubled students. I actually do recommend this trailer* however, as I found it amusing and I really could see how Antonio Banderas dancing might “inspire” a student or two…plus whenever I hear his voice now, I can’t help but think of Puss in Boots from Shrek 2…an adorable little rascal indeed.

* Please take note that these are indeed TRAILER reviews, NOT movie reviews.

8 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

I love it! Trailer reviews. About time.

9:09 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

I saw the ad for Failure to Launch and was wondering who was the actor standing beside Sarah Jessica---it didn't look recommendable from that, either!

BTW, what was the movie you saw?

10:10 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Doug, I've been doing movie trailer reviews for as long as I remember...now that blogging exists, I can share my nonsense with those who could care less...thanks for reading my nonsense!

Kristina, I saw A New World, thanks for asking...I may do a review of that too, but if I don't get to it, let me just say that I recommend it...It is quite poetic...also, it adresses the issue of nature versus adaptation...very intriguing...

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I will have to pay and see The Pink Panther and be sure to get there early with the hopes of seeing those first and third trailers especially.
You're a riot! You didn't say if the acting in the trailers was very good. What about the special effects?

You said you were scared of falling in the chocolate river like Augustus did. My son was also scared of the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory movie, but he was scared of that part when the boat keeps going and faster and faster and Willy Wonka goes kind of spastic and looks wild in the eyes like Gene Wilder does so well. My kid hated that part!! He still talks about how scary that is.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Octobermom said...

Trailer reviews!! I love it!

I recently saw a trailer for "Poseidon" which looked like a lot of fun only I think it was SO much fun that now I'm feeling like I don't need to see the whole movie for fear that all the fun parts were squeezed into the 2-minute trailer.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

When it comes to Mathew McConhaghy (ugh,can't spell his last name)...I would give *****for the trailer VIEW. I can't say for the review.

:) In a valentine state of mind,

Estee

12:09 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Jamie Daw, Pink Panther (the movie) sounds like it might be good...haven't seen the trailer of it yet. And yes, I find that there is a smalle group of people out there who were freaked out by parts of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a child (I love it now, but seriously, there are parts that are a little crrepy)

Sal, that's often how I feel...I am pretty sure all or most of the best parts of the movie are packed into the trailer...I usually like the trailers better than the movie itself...

Estee, I can't spell his last name either...yes that Matthew is a cutie, but he plays a 35 year old man, fully abled still living with his parents...kind of a turn off.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

Let me get this straight. You go to movies where the trailers are for "big people" movies? No animated features?? Geeze, I think I remember being able to do that.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home