Saturday, January 07, 2006

One reason that Dr. Seuss is my favorite Doctor...

I often believe that children diagnosed on the spectrum enjoy challenging our creativity. “You mean you’re just going to tell or ask me to do something? C’mon!, you can do better than THAT!”. I occasionally find my creativity rewarded with an unexpected, yet positive response...

Jason was a picky eater, and one thing that still remains a challenge for me is the food thing. I love a challenge and am always willing to address ANY issue, tantrums, biting, running, you name it, but food is an issue that I believe can’t be forced. I would do my best to get Jason to eat whatever new healthy food was sent by his mom, but unless it was something he ate regularly at home, he would refuse to even try it, until one day when I held up a cherry tomato and said…

“Try it, try it and you may. Try it and you may I say”

I was stunned but pleased when he actually picked up the tomato, ate it and emphatically and enthusiastically said:

“Saaaaaay! I like tomatos and ham! I do, I like it SquareGirl-I-Am!”

4 Comments:

Blogger Wade Rankin said...

That one got a big smile from me. Our little one is a big fan of Dr. Seuss. I may need to try that one the next time he doesn't want to eat something.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Wade,
Excuse me while I go check off something from my to do list...

#27: Elicit a big smile from an attorney

12:35 AM  
Blogger Xia Diaz said...

I found you through Octoberbabies. I love your blog and the work you do with the children. Keep it up!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

SquareGirl: Thanks for your blog! Please keep writing!!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home