Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Healing Autism...

The first day I ever read a blog (that I was aware of…I quite possibly had seen a blog in the past but wasn’t aware of what it was), I stumbled upon comments from this post and told myself that I was keeping myself out of the intense and passionate autism blogring. But then, obviously, I changed my mind…I, having been diagnosed with autism at age three and having worked with children being diagnosed on the spectrum for over 12 years, foolishly believe I have some insight into this subject…I am also blessed to have very few readers, which helps when expressing opinions on so the oh-so-controversial subject of causes and cures for autism.

I work in early intervention and have indeed witnessed what “recovery”. What I mean by “recovery”, is simply that the child has lost his or her diagnosis and lives what society perceives as a fully, inclusive and functional life, save the few idiosyncrasies that we still have, yet suppress or conceal since we have been told by enough people that they are “strange”. When people talk about a “cure” for autism, I often wonder what that would look like? Would a “cure” remove interests labeled to be perseverative? If a child who was 9 or 12 or 17 was “cured”, would he or she suddenly know how to communicate effectively, understand novels, politics, art and poetry, care about economics, understanding lying (my mom had to explain what a lie was to me and why people did this), care about being popular, name brands and getting good grades? Perhaps it is my own tendency to think in pictures, but I hear people say things, like “I want to be happy” or “successful” or “fulfilled”, I often think, “yes, but what does that LOOK like?”. What will your life actually look like if you have or are these things? I consider myself to be very “happy”, “successful”, and “fulfilled”, yet conventionally, I do not have what society traditionally expects for someone of my age, gender, appearance, etc. Yet, I really don’t care, because, as I mentioned, I am happy, fulfilled and my own vision of successful. Now this is turning out to be a long post, but I do have a point and believe I might actually get to it eventually…so back to the title of this post, I don’t believe autism needs to be cured. It needs to be healed.

I simply can’t wrap my head around what a “cure” for autism would look like. And I have yet to meet anyone who can effectively explain it to me. But I know what “healing” autism would look like...at least to me…and in case you have read thus far, are not bored or irritated and still care about what I think, HEALING autism would include cleaning up the environment that is contributing to this diagnosis, detoxing our little friends bodies, removing pollutants, preservatives, hormones and mercury from our food, immunizations, cleansers and bath products AND creating a safer, more inclusive and less judgmental society who accepts and encourages what they now label as “strange” or “atypical behavior” (Whew! We have a lot of work ahead). Maybe, just maybe, we might want to try practicing less judgment and scrutiny within our own community.

Oh yeah, and by the way, if your wondering what caused my “autism”…it was my refrigerator mother who paid too much attention to my baby sister…How do I know this? Well, the doctor told her, and surely a medical doctor could NEVER be wrong.

12 Comments:

Blogger Octobermom said...

I can't even in my wildest dreams imagine what your mother felt like when she was told she caused your autism. (shaking head in disgust)

I want India to grow up and create whatever happiness she desires. I have no interest in "curing" her. (I know you understand this from the comments you've left on my blog.) A while back I wrote a post (probably way too emotionally) in which I said that I wanted her to grow up and do whatever will make her happy. I just want to make sure she has the tools necessary to thrive in this harsh and often non-understanding world. I hope I'm doing the right thing - she didn't come with instructions :-)

Thank you, SquareGirl, for posting this.

Sal

4:29 PM  
Blogger Octobermom said...

BTW, I forgot to add - the concept of "recovery" baffles me. I don't really "get" it. That's like me saying I can "recover" from being female, or a brunette.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

I can tell you that you ARE doing the right things for India. In many ways you actually remind me a lot my own mom...a little frustrated at times, yet so loving, nurturing and nonjudgemental...she is why I survive in this crazy world, yet I know she feels like she failed because she will call me apologize for random things she feels that she did wrong when I was a child. I was inspired by a post of yours in which you wrote a letter to your son Isaac about things you wanted to know...I am planning to post a letter to my mom about all the things she did right, and despite my lack of the conventional 2 kids, a house and a husband, I am still very, very happy and very well loved by many people.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

"Cure" has become such a divisive word, partly stemming from the inability of everyone to agree on what it is we're trying to cure. I like your alternative of using "heal" because it avoids the debate of whether we're focusing on autism itself or so-called comorbidities.

You've got a great blog going here, SG. Keep 'em coming!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Wade, I really enjoy your site as I believe you truly are injecting sense. Thank you for reading my post.

Eileen, I am glad I have inspired some hope for you...this is one of the things I want to do for parents of children diagnosed on the spectrum

2:33 PM  
Blogger me said...

I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share a bit about your personal experience. May no Mother ever again have to go through what your Mom did. Just thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

I have strong feelings about the curing/healing Autism thing. I, personally, don't see a parents' wishes to help or attempt to "fix" the problems their Autistic child faces as a bad thing. I am very proud of all of the things I have done to try and help my son (diet restrictions, supplements, occupational therapy, special-ed, speech therapy) and I will never feel guilty about pursuing them for him. I am very confident that he would not be where he is today (in a regular-ed K class with no special services save for twice/weekly speech therapy and annual IEP's) if it were not for all of the things we have researched and implemented for him in the 3+ years since his initial diagnosis.

I do not judge people who choose not to pursue therapy/treatment for their Autistic child - those who claim to just "accept them as they are". I, however, would've felt remiss had I not done everything in my power to try and help my son overcome things that curtailed his ability to learn, feel happy/satisfied/comfortable and thrive.

I accept my beautiful, thoughtful, sensitive, kind, loving son as he is and would never want to take away from or change his personality - his soul. I believe that those things are what they are and cannot be changed. However - just as I'd help my "neurologically typical" child with anything that might impede his/her quality of life (hyperactivity, inattentiveness, diabetes, anxiety, self-esteem issues, allergies, nocturnal enuresis, impatience) - I will do what I can to help my son who has Autism.

I see much of this "debate" as a matter of semantics. By definition - the word cure means Restoration of health; recovery from disease. A method or course of medical treatment used to restore health. An agent that restores health; a remedy. Heal means To restore to health or soundness; cure. To set right; repair: healed the rift between us. To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness. Are they really that different?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Irish said...

Ahhhhh...

HEAL

yes...that's the word I've been looking for. It's been under my nose the entire time.

We're working on it.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Lora said...

Bravo, Bravisimo,Excellent & Thank you! What great insight that you have and I couldn't agree more with you. I once wrote on my blog that I (in so many words) didn't want to cure Griffin because then he wouldn't be .....Griffin. He is who he is and I think that he is perfect just the way he is. It doesn't mean that I don't want him to grow, mature, and become independent because I do wish these things for him more than anything. I believe that his autism is a gift because so far he's the smartest little guy that I have yet to meet and I have learned a lot from it. This is way too long huh? Anyhow, come by and visit us and meet Griffin sometime! BTW, K.C.'s mom sent me over and I am so glad!

12:00 AM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

You're kidding?! A DOCTOR actually said that? What a moron.

I can't imagine what a "cure" would look like for my SmallBoy. I don't know that I'd want one. Perhaps, a bit better socially so that he's not so naive when he grows up, but other than that, he wouldn't be himself. I want him to be happy, not cured. I want him to have a successful life and I will do what I have to to make sure that is available for him.

This was a wonderful post.
I found you through Sal, and a few others where I've seen you comment, but it was through Sal that I truly found out how absolutely incredible you are!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Hi Squaregirl,
I'm http://joyofautism.blogspot.com and I think you have the most clever blog about autism I've read yet. I use terms like "be happy, to be fulfilled" as goals for Adam, but I think you said it well...the meter is your own and if you feel happy, or my son as he grows, is the ultimate goal. Life isn't easy, we are not always happy, but we can learn to live with ourselves and become content. Thank you for your wonderful posts. I'll be reading you a lot.

Estee

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just passing by to say 'hi' and looking forward to reading more of your posts. mommyguilt sent me. :-)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Beautifully written.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home