Tuesday, May 23, 2006

That Clipper Spirit

I have a confession to make. This blog was gonna be a blog completely dedicated to the Clippers.

Yes. The Clippers.

You know, the NBA basketball team from L.A.

The one that DOESN’T wear purple and gold.

And yes, there is another team besides the Lakers in L.A. Really.

I mean what else is a very square girl supposed to blog about?
Myself? Too personal and too boring.
Autism? Too controversial and intense, at least for me, to devote an entire blog to.

So yes, I strongly considered dedicating this blog to the Clipper Basketball team and in case you find it hard to believe, you can read my very first post about my love for Sam Cassell, which will erase all doubts of my intent and perhaps raise new ones about my sanity.

This basketball season began like any other season for me. Me telling all my friends and family that the Clippers were gonna be good this year, to which they responded with “sure…they’re the Clippers”. In other words, not THE LAKERS. They have no Kobe, no Odom…oh wait, they used to have Odom (poor Lamar).

And well, it ended last night in a less than stellar seventh game match against the Phoenix Suns who they could’ve beat in a couple of earlier games. And goshdarnit, I’m sure they could’ve beat Dallas too if they moved on.

But, I got to see all the home games at the Staples center for $15.00 each which included a free t-shirt at each game!

And I got a good couple weeks of teasing my Laker fan brother-in-law, who reminded me to look at the banners, as those Laker fans like to do when anyone dares talk badly about their beloved team.

And, maybe, just maybe, there are people out there who happened to catch a game or two as they were flipping through their cable stations (Unlike the Lakers, the Clippers only can be seen on cable during the playoffs) and realized that the Clippers are good. Really good. And as I mentioned in this post, pretty drama-free (In fact their big star Elton Brand was voted sportsman of the year by his fellow NBA players).

So it’s over. But it was fun while it lasted. And I got to see my Clippers play like the team I have always known they could be. Even if I have endured a lot of taunting about it over the last six years.

So to all of you Clipper players reading this right now, Congratulations on a great season and I’m looking forward to the next…even though I have a feeling the prices on my package seats is gonna be a little higher next year.

Peace,
Square Girl

8 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Squaregirl, you have my sympathy. Keep believing. I had over 30 years of that with the WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

And, if they can hold on to key people, the Clippers are building on spirit unlike the Lakers who are building on talent. I'd trade ya.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

Ok...I do question you sanity, just a little though! :) I never got into basketball. But i love soccer and teh World Championship is starting on teh 9th of June and I can´t wiat to see Michael Ballack run around on teh field with those georgeous legs and lovely hair.
Since I donæt support basketball, my vote goes to your team :)
and does that mena you have 7 free t-shirts now? All the same, maybe?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Hi Squaregirl-I'm visiting from Doug's place. I have been checking out the other people on his blog roll.
I don't know anything about the Clippers or their sport (basketball?) but it doesn't matter. I read some of your other posts and realize I can visit without being too conspicuous! Like it her. :-)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

HI again. Now I've read your whole blog. You are an amazing teacher. You're posts about 'the agenda', the nurturing of the plant, listening...etc, really touched me.

Here, all this time I was seeing at Doug's place I was figuring you for some kind of math girl. Jeesh! That's about the same as you looking at my avatar and figuring me for a dog.

I was wrong! I'll be back :-)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dunno nuthin' 'bout b-ball. Must go to archives for something I can comment intelligently on.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Squaregirl, I think Minka needs a Clippers Shirt. Just sayin'

9:33 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

Squaregirl, I second DOug on that one! I feel strongly about the Clippers all of a sudden!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Okay Minka! What's the address for Iceland? Los Angeles seems to be Laker (their an NBA basketball team) territory, so mayby you can start a Clipper revolution in Iceland!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home