Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Because I get to have conversations like this...

When people find out that I work with children diagnosed on the spectrum, they often say things like “Wow! I could never do that, it must be hard!”…well, not really actually. I mean it USED to be hard, back when I thought it was hard, but now that I realize it is extremely rewarding, it is….extremely rewarding and satisfying and entertaining and really, really gratifying. And, while I know this may be corny, I actually love the fact that I actually get to have conversations like this…

D: Look SquareGirl, the moon! (pointing to the moon)
SG: Yes D., the moon! Thank you so much for showing me, I love it when you share with me!
D: Touch it!
SG: Oh D., what a wonderful idea, I wish I could!
D: Reach for it!
SG: Okay D. I will. Thanks for the advice.

11 Comments:

Blogger Alana said...

I agree Eileen...I feel so blessed on a daily basis, and I wish everyone could be open to the blessings and lessons that children (our true teachers) provide for us...yet so many people are missing out.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

It IS good advice. I think I WILL reach for the moon!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

It is, isn't it Wade? So glad to hear you will be reaching for the moon and I will pass that along to my little friend D.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really believe that those of you that are "true" providers to our kids have so much freaking Karma on your side. Seriously, thank you for doing what you do.

Not only do we (as parents) appreciate it, but our kids will also one day appreciate it as well. Thank you so much for choosing the career path that you did!!!!!

Tori's Pop

9:50 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

"Extremely rewarding and satisfying and entertaining and really, really gratifying." Exactly what it is like teaching my Classics classes (and seeing Charlie learn, and trying, very humbly, to teach him.)

And what it would be like to teach you too!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

TP, I must have a whole lot of Karma otherwise I don't see how I could've been blessed with so many amazing teachers

Kristina,
I can guarantee that I would be sitting in the front row!!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Nothing easy is as gratifying as that which is challenging. I find my truest joy is my son!

Estee

10:11 AM  
Blogger TLP said...

I have to confess I don't know what diagnosed on the spectrum means. Something to do with being autistic perhaps?

I do love this little sniplet of a conversation that you give us. Thanks.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

You are correct TLP...thanks for stopping by...any friend of Doug's is definitely a friend of mine!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

For such a short post it sure was powerful. I love reading your blog, you really know how to get your point across with so few words it's amazing. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Thank you Lora. I love it when I can share about my amazing friends that have taught me so much!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home