Monday, February 13, 2006

A Holiday Story for a Hallmark Day

After the three trailers that I went to go see yesterday, the theater kindly showed a movie called “A New World” by the always poetic Terrence Malick. While I am quite aware that everything we know about Pocahontus and John Smith, is legendary due to the limited documentation, I am quite certain that the actual truth about what transpired is indeed stranger than any fiction we might imagine. Of course, watching the movie, I couldn’t help but be a little amused by recalling what my elementary school beliefs about the first Thanksgiving with the “Pilgrims” and the “Indians”, which was a little like this…

On arrival to the new world,

Pocahontus: (in perfect English) Welcome, we are so thankful to have you here.
John Smith: Thank you…we are so thankful to meet you.
Pocahontus: You and your people simply must join me and my people for a bountiful feast.
John Smith: Splendid! We will bring the mashed potato’s and beer.
Pocahontus: Wonderful!

At the feast;

JS: Happy Thanksgiving to all of our new friends, whom we call “Indians”. Let us all bow our heads and thank God for this delicious food.
Pocahontus: Yes, let’s!
Native American’s: Amen!

After the first course:

John Rolfe: (clinking wine glass with his spoon)…excuse me everyone, I have an announcement. Pocahontus and I will be getting married!

Native American’s and Colonial’s: Hooray!!!

John Rolfe: And oh yes, Pocahontus’s new name will be “Lady Rebecca”

John Smith: Wonderful! Now let’s all celebrate and watch the big game!

3 Comments:

Blogger Minka said...

Well done! See people can be civilized in a new and frightening situation...I always knew we had it in us! At least in our imagination.
Just Splendid!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

A great story!

I'm in the mood for some turkey now.

Happy LOVE Day to you!!!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

And then he takes her away to the cold grey world on the other side of the ocean and--- well, it's the ending Hallmark would want!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home