Friday, September 08, 2006

Things to love about Hawaii...

1. The beaches. I had never been to Hawaii so I was uncertain about what to expect and a little worried that it was all gonna be too touristy and crowded, but it turns out there are so many beaches that you can find exactly the one that suits you, including fairly secluded ones and whichever beach you choose has the clearest water, you can actually see your own feet!! I was in Santa Barbara last week and I actually said “Ick” when I saw the beach and imeediately realized that I have become a spoiled brat.





2. The Aloha Spirit. Everyone kept talking about this “Aloha Spirit” and until I was actually in Hawaii, I couldn’t fully appreciate the laid back, calm, friendly vibe the island seems to create. I loved it! Hawaiin culture does tend to have a bit of corniness with their Ukelele’s and Hawaiin shirts and spam (the canned meat not the kind you get e-mailed to you) and grass bedskirts, but in Hawaii it somehow all just works and you are overcome with the Aloha Spirit and come to embrace what you once viewed as a little corny.

3. The clouds. They move so quickly in Hawaii, you can’t help but remember how to cloudwatch.


4. Ice. You can literally make a meal of just ice…well and syrup too. I am quite the healthy eater, but after a morning in the water and sun a cup of shaved ice turns out to be quite satisfying. I strongly recommend adding a scoop of ice cream at the bottom. I know what you are thinking “Ice AND Ice cream together Square? Now that’s just craaaaazy talk!”, but trust me it’s a combination made in the paradise that is Hawaii.

5. Aloha. It means both “goodbye” AND “hello” as well as “I love you”. You’d think that’d get confusing, but it doesn’t.

6. The flowers and plantlife. Beautiful!! And soooo fragrant!



7. The culture. Hawaii has a rich culture and history that most local Hawaiins seeem to value and respect, which is something that seems to be missing in most America…there is an amazing respect for the land and Hawaii’s history, which is typically passed down orally and through chanting…we wer’e both blessed to get to hear our first Hawaiin chant at our wedding ceremony.


8. The rainbows. When I first saw that the Hawaiin lisence plates were white with a rainbow on them, I thought it was kinda silly. This of course was until I realized that you see so many rainbows in Hawaii. I saw three in one day (the day before our ceremony) and was told by Manulele (our officiant) that this was a very good sign.

9. The Sunsets. Amazing. Even the dogs stop to enjoy the sunset.




Aloha!
SquareGirl

16 Comments:

Blogger Xia Diaz said...

It sounds like you both had a lovely time. Congrats!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Mamaroo said...

Congratulations Newlyweds!
My hubby and I went to Kauai and Maui for our honeymoon. We loved it! Your pictures make me want to go again. Maybe someday.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Octobermom said...

Welcome back, SquareGirl! Lots of love to you and Mr. Square!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

Aloha and welcome back.

4:14 PM  
Blogger gretchen said...

Aloha and congratulations Squaregirl! Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

I visited Hawaii as a baby. My dad was on leave from Viet Nam and mom and I met him there. I would love to go back.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Mahaula, I think!

Are you sure you weren't just a little corny when you left?

2:32 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

I am confused about teh last Aloha...was it hi, goodbye or I love you?
It doesn´t work taht easy in written language.
Uh...did you get one of those circles of flowers around your neck...or does that just happen in movies?

Those pictures were just lovely and I can see how that island cna be a destiantion spot for newlyweds. Very romantic! And you look lovely as always...
Congratualtions Mr. and Mrs Square. I hope he does round your edges a bit over time ;)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

and was this a new post? *hyperventilates*
I guess we´ll here from you early to mid October again? ;)
I am done now, I swear :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

I want to go to Hawaii and enjoy the Aloha Spirit and the horizontal rainbows. I've never seen horizontal rainbows before!

I like the pics a lot, ALL, but my very fave is the second from the top, the green, the sand, the sky and the woman, I love it that she doesn't show her face, it gives it mysterious and sweet feeling, nothing bad can happen here. ok, I'm not sure how much sense it makes but I LOVE that photo.

10:01 AM  
Blogger me said...

I have yet to find a California beach that compares to Hawaii. It's definitely a magical place... Welcome back! Beautiful pictures!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Welcome back! And congratulations!

I was in Maui in 2002...loved every single second of it.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

XD, We really did! And thanks!

Mamaroo, here's hoping we all get to return someday...it is quite breathtaking there!

Thank you Sal!

You too Wade.

Doug, who me??? well maybe a little bit...

Thanks Minka...it was a "whatever you interrpret it to be..." and yes it was a REAL post...I'll try not to stay away to long next time...

Ariel, thanks...My guy tok that one of me as I was looking for a nice patch of sand to settle upon...I have to admit, I am the last gal you would call mysterious though...

Onlinemom, I agree...

Wendy, Thnks, and yes, who could NOT enjoy every minute of the beauty of Hawaii?

12:12 AM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

SG! Congrats & Welcome back! Aloha, aloha, & Aloha!

Best wishes to you & Mr. Square!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

man, I've been away from squareland for too long. now you make me want to go there and I've never even had that thought before!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i SO adore Hawaii... absolutely lovelovelove it! i can't think of a better place to get married. (not that my husband and i got to do that, but hey, if we coulda, we woulda!)

the people, the culture, the lifestyle, the scenery... it's as close to paradise as you'll ever find. that's something even a malihini can appreciate.

mahalo, lovely SquareGirl, for sharing these pictures. and may you and your husband share manymanymany years filled with love and joy! xox

4:41 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

I was just thinking about Spam Wusubi today....don't know if you came across it!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home