Friday, June 16, 2006

What a Mess!




This has been my 2 year old nieces newest favorite catch phrase, which she uses whenever she anything out of place or say drops like 2 cheerios, being quite the fastidious little girl. Needless to say, my home sweet home has become quite the mess with piles of clothes draped here and there, as I begin the process of simplifying, re-organizing and downsizing, getting the energy flowing if you will, in my living space. I won’t bore you with details here, but BIG changes are on the horizon for this Square…

So in my downsizing efforts, I have chosen to start with the closets (yes “closets”, I have three). I have resisted doing so in quite a while, mostly because it means admitting to myself that I will never be the effortless size six I used to be and because I really like some of my smaller clothes, I have maintained the delusion that I would be able to wear them again one day.

But I’m stepping into reality. My niece (well she’s not technically my niece, but my “niece” nonetheless) is graduating from high school today and will be working at USC over the summer so although her style is more of the groovy, punk, mod eighties thing that kids are doing these days, she’s always liked my clothes and tells me she’d be more than happy to inherit some of them, making it much easier for me to detatch from them knowing that someone will appreciate them (yes, I know, it’s only clothes).

Needless to say, I am creating different piles of clothes around my house based on where they will be going and I am actually realizing quite a lot by looking at things I used to wear…



For example, see that dress with the groovy print? Well, by hanging it in the window, I am realizing that it is quite, er, transparent. And while I can’t remember exactly everytime I wore this dress, I do know that I once wore it to a Picasso exhibit at the Norton Simon museum a few years back, and to everyone there, I apologize…I am just not fussy enough of a person to wear slips and such...but I really had no idea exactly how sheer it actually was…so I really hope you’ll accept my apology…

And that turquoise shirt, pretty huh? Well at least I think so…It’s actually Versace and the most design-ery piece of clothing I have ever owned, bought for me by my good friend Chris...(Dear Chris, I appreciate the shirt, really I do, it is soooo my color. And I know that in your five foot, ninety-five pound, size zero world that this “Large” actually seems large, BUT seriously girl, that is not a “large” shirt…well, I hope not at least).

Does it look “large” to any of you?

Needless to say, I have only just begun…after the closets comes the bigger projects, i.e. dismantling my office/guest bedroom that rarely gets used, moving my current bedroom into aforementioned office/guest bedroom, moving my television into my current bedroom, re-painting the walls a new color (don’t actually know what color yet) No more T.V. in the livingroom, more yoga and reading, less STUFF. I am in the process of further simplifying my life and unplugging…Of course something tells my DSL will be the last to go…

I suppose it's gonna get messier in order to get better, but isn't that how it always goes?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I'm quite sure the people at the Picasso exhibit don't expect an apology. In fact, I'm sure they would have liked to have your address so they could send you a nice thank you note for livening up the crowd!
I alwasy forget about slips and stuff too. Such a fashion diva.

All the simplifying/re-organizing sounds kind of exciting but I must admit to a feeling of horror at the thought of giving up the DSL! Would you? could you?

7:07 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

I second Kyahgirl. No apolgies needed. A great time was had by all :)

I donæt think the blue-greenish shirt looks large. i´d label it Medium!

Good luck with teh clenaing and un-plugging...which reminds me that I have to stop blogging and get ready to clean my room...It is Sunday for crying out loud!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

The turqouise shirt looks like a napkin to me.

Also remember, it was a Picasso exhibit.

7:00 AM  
Blogger G said...

LOL at Doug's napkin comment - I thought maybe, maybe a girls' size 12?

Fun place - fun post.

I seem to be in an eternal state of clearing out the mess and creating a flow. I realized I might not be so Zen like in my approach when I heard my 4 year old son doing his version of cleaning in his room with his little broom "What is this crrraap?" It sounded rather familiar.

Came here as the crow flies from Doug's through the Park.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Cool Daddio said...

Humm let's see, Lorraine to Ben to here then reading for a half hour before I remembered why I went to Lorraine's blog to begin with. Love your writing and especially your 'About' Peace to you Square Girl

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home