Tuesday, June 06, 2006

And this time I'm sure!



I’ve been voting since I was eighteen. It’s what we squares were always taught to do. Vote. And Recycle.

Which is why it was so disturbing durning the last presidential election when I showed up to the polls to find that somehow, my name had disappeared. So I was ushered to some line where I had to fill out a special form in order to possibly get my vote counted if all my information was correct and validated and some other nonsense.

And they gave me my sticker that I didn’t even want to wear because I wasn’t sure if my vote was gonna even count. Apparently this happened to a lot of people, and frankly I’m a little suspicious…I mean, they could find my name for a State Primary election apparently, but not the presidential election?

Perhaps you need some sort of clearance for that now…I suppose it’s in the Patriot Act or something.

God Bless America.

Sigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

It is stories like this that make me profoundly cynical about the outcome of the last two Presidential elections. I am not comfortable being a conspiracy-minded person and the implications of well-planned wide-scale election tampering frighten me to no end. But wtill, it's the stories like this... Please don't tell me you live in a swing state.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

As I told a suspicious voter just yesterday "I don't know what the conspiracy is, only the outcome."

5:06 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

Maybe you didn´t vote right and your outcome would have been against plans. That is why they had to re-count your existence.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Don't give up, even if it seems too hard. Unfortunately its the only process you've got so you've got to work with it to change it right?

We have similar issues in Canada. Its times like that when I really wonder about our government and processes. They can gain intelligence on the most obscure thing but they can't keep track of people who give their info to the 'big machine' over and over again. Do they even have computers? :-)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Forgive me for a serious answer but the provisional ballot (the form you had to fill out) is a way to make sure everyone can vote. My guess would be that your precinct was changed and you were on the rolls somewhere else (that tends to be pretty irrational.) They should have given you a receipt with a number to call after a week to find out whether your vote was counted.

Signed,

The guy in Canyon Country that people like you bellow at.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home