Friday, June 02, 2006

Nostalgia is dying...

Apparently.

Sigh.

I received a letter from the school I attended from preschool to high-school graduation and it said…

“The Senior Class of 2006 is replacing all of the CIF banners as part of their Senior Gift. The new banners will all be identical and colorfast and we are excited about the new look. Rather than throw away the old banners, we’ve decided to AUCTION THEM OFF…”

I don’t know what to say…

I haven’t worn an official basketball jersey in over thirteen years (incidentally my jersey number), and I’m not a fan of the term “Glory Days”, BUT, I sincerely believe that Basketball plays a HUGE role in who I am today…teaching me the importance of teamwork, accountability, work ethic, sportsmanship, responsibility, humility, and responsibility. And our coach, who now suffers (maybe I shouldn’t say “suffers”, he seems quite happy) from Alzheimers, epitomized and lived those values.

The banners of team the that I played on…that I was co-captain of is being sold to the highest bidder…and I am pretty sure that it will be someone who will appreciate it. I don’t even want the banners, BUT…

When did being “colorfast” become a priority.? I don’t know why it matters, but it DOES. I don’t want those banners replaced. I don’t want to be “Colorfast” (what the heck is “colorfast” anyway?)

La-Di-da, I suppose. I guess I am being too sentimental…too nostalgic…too sensitive. I should be happy that our banners are being replaced by colorfast ones…

Unfortunately, I’m not

Again...
Sigh.

6 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

I'm not sure which is worst, an auction or the trash!

Imagine if any of the Greeks a few hundred years after Sokrates had said "this status is looking a little worn, might as well junk it".....

8:30 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Yes Kristina! You understand my angst! Thank you!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

Colorfastness wins games!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

squaregirl-I have the same fondness and good memories of my years as a grass hockey player. when they changed the colours and style for our school teams it felt like losing a piece of my youth. Sappy? Yes. Oh well. Just think of the good that will come of the money from the auction.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Alana said...

Well Kyahgirl, the monies being used to buy the colorfast banners. And yes, I can be a sap.

And Doug :P

2:10 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

I dontæ know what colourfastness is and after this post, I just donæt wanna go and google it. I´ll just ignore its existence!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home