Sunday, June 25, 2006

Me and my auntie Square!

Today get to take care of my nephew while my sister and brother-in-law go to the Dodger game (as Dodger Stadium is ten minutes from my apartment). And while I babysit quite often, it is usually AT the location of my neices or nephew's, thus in a more baby proof environment. The last time I watched my nephew at my place I realized just how NON-babyproof my apartment actually is and wrote this post on another site:


Dear Mamma and D-A-D Dad,
I like our house and all, really I do, but after hangin out at auntie Square’s last night I realized that our house really isn’t very baby FRIENDLY after all. Let me show you what I mean…


See! SquareGirl's doors actually OPEN and are not stuck together (by the way, her toilet seat opens too). and why is this? That’s because Auntie Square TRUSTS me mom…you ever hear of that word? "TRUST"? Maybe YOU should try it sometime.


Oh yes, and the shelves…look at all these fun things for me to pull down...er I mean, look at.


Auntie Square has an actual fireplace, the perfect size for me to walk into. I tried.


See that vase behind me? It is totally real live genuine GLASS. And these candleholders? Much better than any of the toys you sent with me.


And let’s talk about the television set…It’s my perfect height! I can touch it and everything! AND auntie Square let ME hold the remote…see? I liked the news. That Sesame Street DVD is getting a little old.

Oh yeah, and that whole eating in a high chair thing you make me do? Well auntie Square doesn’t believe in those restrictive chairs so at her house eating time is actually fun…eat a bite and run, another bite then play some more…really mom, you can learn a thing or two from her.

All in all it was a wonderful night with my auntie Square, and I am quite sure that midway through the evening, she could hardly even wait to start having kids of her own.

Love,
Your son

I think this time I'll take him to the park.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too funny! so people baby-proof their homes when their kids are young? hmmmm... this might explain why my sons are the way they are *now*! (what with all those open cabinets under the sink they had access to as little ones!)

and my husband (the die-hard-life-long dodger fan) is going to be very jealous of your sister!

have fun stormin' the park! xo

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...jealous...10 minutes from the holy shrine that is Dodger Stadium! Great post! As Neva has alluded to, our greatest and pretty much only tool in the whole child proofing game was the "hey! get away from there" admonition. Usually pretty effective unless you weren't there to witness the pending transgression...in which case we relied on the "bet you won't do that again, hey mister?" rebuke.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Wade Rankin said...

Ah yes. We all have that one aunt who was just a little cooler than the rest of the family.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

That is just too funny. baby proofing the apartmetn is an American thing though. Never seen people do it here. Ok..you put the odd valuable vase away and maybe chunk stuff a little higher on the shelves. Othe rthan that...not so much. Although my youngest niece ahs one of thos ehig baby-chairs when we eat. When I am over for a visit she sits in my lap...a much better place to throw food around at everybody else :)
4 days, I can´t wait!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

That's a hilarious post auntie square!

2:27 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

From that face, I'd say he knows he's playing for his best audience!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Neva, I think that might be part of the problem...kids are too used to baby-proof homes so they go a little wild when they can actually get into things. My mom never babyproofed.

Joel, that's what my parents used too and it seemed to work fine. And everytime my sis and brother-in-law visit me after a game he talks about moving here just to be closer to the stadium.

Minka, I suppose it is an American thing. Oh 4 days! How exciting! Can't wait to hear about it.

Thanks Kyahgirl!

Kristina, oh I am SURE of it.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

Ok, you square you...I am off. Donæt know when I am gonna see anothe rcomputer, but in case I wonæt befor ethe 4th of July...well have a very Happy happy day!
Miss ye already!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did i see that you have a birthday comin' up tomorrow (i'm writing this on the 3rd of July)?? if so... please allow me to be the FIRST to wish you a truly happy one! and i hope you celebrate by doing something a little more exciting than babysitting your adorable nephew! not that there's anything wrong with *that*, but still...

HAPPY 33rd SquareGirl!! (33? ah yes... i remember it well!) xo

8:39 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Thanks Minka!! Yo have a wonderful time in Germany (and how could you not?). I'll be anxiously awaiting your return.

Yup Neva, a birthday manana (the 4th). Thanks for the birthday wishes and indeed I have big plans that don't include babysitting :) Ever year seems to get even better and 32 was amazing! I am so looking forward to 33!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home