Saturday, September 16, 2006

Gracie and Muffin...




The other day while visiting my precocious, whimsical, charming, quirky and slightly sensitive two-year-old niece Gracie, I was showing her a few photos of my private Hawaiian ceremony and said “see, there’s Uncle M.” To which she sweetly leaned over on the sofa and asked “Is he your boyfriend” (only it was like “boyshen’). Of course although I have no idea where she came up with this, I told her “well actually he’s my husband…we’re married. Do you know who else is married? Auntie Well and Uncle R are married and Amaxti and Papas are married…”

“And I can marry MAMA!!!!!” she announced excitedly…to which I told her, “You know who mama is married to? She’s married to dada!” Inadvertantly causing her to begin to get upset and well up with tears realizing she was the only one being left out of this whole marriage thing apparently. I didn’t quite know what to tell her, but she seemed to calm herself down and started to smile and announced “I can marry Muffin!”

“Sure! You can marry Muffin” I told her, turning to my sister to ask her if “Muffin” was a character from one of her books or television show or somewhere.

“No,” my sister informed me. “She’s talking about a muffin. Gracie loves to eat muffins.”

I see.

Crisis averted.

I think?

14 Comments:

Blogger Doug The Una said...

Santorum was right again.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

It is nto fair being left out and all.
Can I marry my laptop do you think?!
*looks panicky*

4:41 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Muffins don't snore, they don't leave the toilet lid up, they don't make you watch gory action flicks. Sounds good to me. If I wasn't already married, I just might marry a muffin too. :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ariel the Thief said...

poor me, I cannot choose one food!!

6:40 AM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Oh, and muffins don't hog the remote!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

a muffin sounds like a good choice. you can tell gracie is one of the squares...she's smart!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... Gracie could do worse...what if she was attached to croissants? (would that make her a flake?) or a hard, dry scone. nope, i say a "muffin" is as fine a partner as any she'll need for the time being! (until the day she can go to beautiful Hawaii and enjoy one of those yummy oatcakes. mmmmmmm. oatcakes. lovelovelove 'em) xox

4:29 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

september 16th?

you went back to hawai, didn´t ye?!:)

6:48 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

come on minka, she's a newlywed...you know, newlyweds got important things to do that we're not welcome to hear about about :-)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

Aloha! Can you bring me one of those flowery rings on your return???

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minka: you mean a lei (pronounced LAY)? trust me, Hawaii is a great place to get... er... lei-ed. (you should check it out yourself, someday!) xox

12:37 PM  
Blogger Doug The Una said...

I knew the married life was an uninspired one.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

Douglas, at this point I´d go for a simple hello!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Sponge Girl said...

Hm I don't know - she seems like a sweet kid, and personally I think she could do better. Let's face it, marriage is a guaranteed weight-increaser, and marriage to a muffin... oy.

If she married an apple instead, she could use that as a useful projectile in case any icky boys came near her.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home